About Interlibrary Loan
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a borrowing service for GSU students, faculty and staff that supports scholarly research.
You can request books, articles, and other materials that are not found in Georgia State University collections. The ILL team will try to get a copy from another library for you.
Who is eligible for ILL?
ILL service is available to Georgia State University’s currently enrolled students, faculty and staff. Library accounts must be in good standing. Contact User Services at 404-413-2820 for assistance if your record is blocked. Other library users should contact their primary academic, public or corporate library for interlibrary loan services. GSU Law School students, staff and faculty should work with the Law Library.
Check GIL-Find and/or the Find e-Journals links to make sure we don’t have the item. For books you will also want to check the GIL-Find University System of Georgia Catalog to see if the book is available through GIL Express, as those requests tend to come in faster. If you need help with this, contact a librarian.
4) Once you are logged in, select your request type (book, article, book chapter, etc.) from the main menu on the left.
5) Submit a separate request for each item.
6) Also use ILLiad to modify, track and cancel requests, request renewals, and view your request history.
Faculty may contact the ILL office to request a proxy account – a separate ILLiad account for others to place and retrieve requests on your behalf. Once your proxy account has been established, you will receive an email with the account’s username and password for you to distribute at your discretion. You will be responsible for the materials borrowed through this account.
Textbooks and Course Readings
ILL requests for textbooks and required course readings for current courses will not be filled. The Library views the purchase of textbooks and other required readings as part of a student’s expected cost of pursuing a degree in higher education.
Why Was My Request Cancelled?
Though we will attempt to fill almost any request submitted, the following types of material often are difficult to obtain through interlibrary loan:
- Textbooks and study guides (we do not request GSU textbooks from other libraries)
- Recently published items
- Entire volumes or issues of periodicals, especially if less than 3 years old
- Reference works
- Rare books, original manuscripts, and special collections material
- Newspapers and other bulky materials in their original format (microfilm is usually obtainable)
- Audiovisual materials
How Long Will It Take?
This varies considerably. Most book requests are filled in one to two weeks, though material from nearby may arrive faster. Many articles only take one to three days. However, depending on availability, some items will take longer than two weeks. We cannot guarantee that material will be received within a specified time period. Please submit requests well in advance of deadlines, and monitor your ILLiad account regularly for the status of your request.
Is There a Fee?
In most cases, no. The library subsidizes up to $50 of the cost of obtaining each item. If the cost will exceed $50, we will notify you in advance of any charges. You are responsible for prompt payment of any overdue fines and/or replacement costs arising from your requests.
How Will I Be Notified When My Materials Arrive?
When an item is available, ILL will notify you through your Georgia State University e-mail account. You can also monitor the status of your request by checking your account in ILLiad.
Where Do I Pickup My Materials?
Most articles and book chapters are delivered to you electronically via ILLiad. Other Interlibrary Loan materials can be picked up and returned to the Library Circulation Desk at the pickup location you specified when you registered with ILLiad.
Length and Condition of Loans
The lending library specifies the length of the loan (usually 2 to 4 weeks), the conditions under which the material may be used (library use only, no copying, handle with care, etc.), and the possibility of renewals. Some libraries do not grant renewals, so prompt pick-up and use of materials is important. All borrowed material is subject to “recall” when a member of the lending institution needs it. If an item is recalled it is your responsibility to return it immediately. Patrons are responsible for using ILL materials carefully, and returning them to a GSU Library promptly and in good condition.
Failure to adhere to ILL rules may result in loss of borrowing privileges for the borrower as well as the GSU Library.
To Request a Renewal in ILLiad:
- Log into ILLiad and select “Checked Out Items” from the “View” section on the left.
- A list of materials checked out to you will appear. For each item you wish to renew, click the transaction number.
- This will bring up detailed information about the item. On this screen, click “Renew Request.”
A successful renewal request automatically adds seven days to your due date to give us time to receive a response from the lending library. If they grant the renewal, we adjust your due date to reflect the amount of time they allowed, and send you an email message. If they deny the renewal, we send you a message asking you to return the item closer to its original due date if possible.
ILLiad will not allow a renewal request if:
- the lending library specified in advance that they will not grant a renewal on that item.
- the item’s due date is more than five days in the future or more than one day in the past.
- you have recently requested a renewal for the item and the lending library has not yet responded to the previous request.