About GIL Express
GIL Express allows students, faculty, and staff of University System of Georgia schools to search a single online catalog that includes the holdings of all 31 USG libraries, and request delivery of regularly circulating books to the library of your choice. GIL Express books can also be returned to any University System libraries.
Pickup locations at Georgia State University
GIL Express items at Georgia State University may be picked up at any GSU campus library service desks (Alpharetta is the exception). Please choose from one of these locations when placing your requests for pickup at Georgia State.
GIL Express items can also be delivered to another University System of Georgia pickup library of your choice. Simply select the library most convenient to you from the drop-down menu when placing your request.
Submitting a Request
- While viewing the full record of the item you wish to request in the GIL-Find University System of Georgia Catalog, click “Please Log in to enable GIL Express Requests” under the Holdings tab in the item record.
- At the login screen, login by (1) selecting Georgia State University in the Home Institution dropdown menu, (2) typing your Library ID in the Inst. ID or Barcode # field, (3) typing your Last Name in the field, (4) typing your PIN in the field, and (5) clicking the Login button.
- At the item record screen, click “Place GIL-Express Request” under the Holdings tab in the item record. (If an item is not available for GIL Express Requests, it will be indicated. Consider submitting your request through ILLiad.)
- At the next screen, if you wish to add any Comments, change the Pickup Library, and/or Pickup Location, do so.
- Click the Submit Request button.
- The next screen will tell you whether or not the request was successful.
- Monitor your “My Account” information to find out whether the Lending Library was able to fill the request and send it to your pickup location.
- If you need assistance, contact a Reference Librarian at 404-413-2800, or visit our Ask A Librarian Page, or visit one of your GSU campus library service desks.
How will I know if my request is filled? What do I do if it isn’t?
- Monitor your online “My Account” information.
- If the Lending Library is able to send the item, your request will go to a status of “In transit” while the item is on its way.
- If an item is available for you to pick up, it will show in your “My Account” information as an item available, and you will receive a notice by mail or email.
- Please pick up available items before their expiration dates (also shown in your “My Account”).
- If the Lending Library is unable to send the item, your request will go to a status of “Not filled.” If this happens, and more than one library owns the item, try your request again.
- If no other libraries in the Universal Catalog own the item, submit your request through ILLiad. Please note in the comments section that your GIL Express request was not filled.
Are GIL Express policies (fines, loan periods, etc.) the same as those at the Georgia State University Libraries?
Some policies are similar and some are not. Some important differences include:
- GIL Express items cannot be renewed at any of the GSU libraries service desks. They can only be renewed online through your “My Account” information, or by the library that owns the material.
- If a GIL Express item becomes overdue it must be returned and sent back to the owning library. It cannot be checked in and then checked back out again at any of the GSU libraries service desks.
- GIL Express policies are the same for all eligible patron groups. Fines and loan periods are the same for all faculty, staff, students, and graduate students. Faculty as well as staff and students may be subject to recall fines of $2.50 per day on overdue GIL Express materials if they are recalled at the owning library.
- Visit the GIL Express homepage for more detailed information about GIL Express policies.
I’m a GSU student. Can I have an item from a Georgia State University Library delivered for pickup elsewhere?
Yes. For materials that circulate through GIL Express, GSU faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students may request Georgia State University Library materials for pickup at other University System Libraries.
However, GIL Express circulation policies will not apply. Georgia State University Library policies, such as fines and loan lengths, apply when a GSU patron checks out a University Library item, even if the item is picked up elsewhere.
GIL Express cannot be used to request delivery of Georgia State University Library items to other GSU locations, such as the Law Library.
What materials does the Georgia State University Libraries allow to circulate through GIL Express to patrons from other libraries?
Georgia State University Libraries allows most regularly circulating books to be requested and checked out by GIL Express patrons. This includes items in our General Collection, Folio, Ultra Folio, Government Document, and Juvenile collections.
Items not eligible for GIL Express include Periodicals, Reference, Media, Microfilm, Microfiche, Special Collections, and Reserves items.