Many faculty and GTAs request library assistance instructing their students on research strategies and subject-related resources. Georgia State University Library provides workshops, video tutorials, online research guides and in-class instruction to meet the needs of both students and faculty.
Atlanta Campus Subject Specific Research Instruction
If your students already have basic skills in library research, please schedule an in-person instruction session by contacting your subject librarian. If your students don’t have basic library skills, please refer them to the workshops and tutorials available below. Prior to scheduling a session please read our instruction process below:
- Request a class at least two weeks prior to the desired date (the class will be confirmed by phone and/or e-mail).
- Faculty & GTAs are expected to accompany their class to the seminar.
- After participating in a subject-based library instruction session, students should possess intermediate skills in library research.
- For a list of advanced instruction topics that can be covered during sessions and the approximate amount of time needed to cover each topic, see the Instruction Menu.
- In addition to instruction, our subject librarians provide research guides for every discipline on campus.
Perimeter Campus Library Instruction
Library Instruction at the Perimeter Campuses, including through iCollege provides students with an introduction to library and research concepts and ideas. If you teach at a Perimeter Campus and would like to schedule a library instruction session for your class, please use the online form to request a session. Perimeter campus instruction may consist of one-time instruction, a librarian embedded within your course, online instruction, asynchronous instruction or consultation on an assignment for your class.
The library offers workshops on topics such as scholarly impact, using library databases, data management and software applications.
Basic Library Skills – Help Your Students Survive College
Georgia State University Library hosts a series of workshops and online tutorials that provide your students with research success skills that not only help them earn good grades, but can also prepare them for their careers beyond GSU.
If students can’t make it to a workshop, video tutorials are available 24 hours a day, providing the basics of searching the catalog, using the library web site, locating a book and citing sources appropriately.
In addition, library personnel are available for research support at all campuses in person, via telephone, email and live chat.