Policies and Procedures
- In order to insure the careful handling of Special Collections and Archives materials, all copying is done or arrangements made by Special Collections and Archives staff. Personal duplication equipment is not allowed in the reading room without prior permission.
- Researchers may take photographs of collection materials for study purposes only, and as allowed by the library, based on the physical condition of the materials, copyright law, donor restrictions, and reading room rules. Please see our Camera Use Policy for more information.
- Special Collections and Archives will not reproduce entire manuscript or archival collections or extensive sections of collections.
- Special Collections and Archives reserves the right to refuse duplication of materials based upon condition of the item, copyright or donor conditions. The decision to prohibit reproduction will be made by the staff member at the reference desk.
- Certain materials cannot be copied because of restrictions placed upon the item by the donor or agency of origin. In every case, copyright law (Title 17 of the U.S. Code) and the doctrine of educational fair use (Section 107 of H.R. 2223) applies.
- Copies of materials housed in Special Collections and Archives are to be used solely for scholarly research. The department reserves the right to request the return of photocopies. Copyright is not conveyed with the copies. The researcher must not quote from, publish, reproduce, or display any material in the copy, in whole or in part, without written permission from the copyright holder and from Special Collections and Archives. Transfer of copies to another library or repository is prohibited, except with written permission of the Head of Special Collections.
- If you are requesting the copies of records from the Johnny Mercer Collection or the Stetson Kennedy Collection a secondary release form must be completed.
- Materials which Special Collections and Archives has obtained from other institutions or projects cannot be copied unless the researcher has obtained written permission of the original institution. The researcher assumes all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying audio-visual materials and in the use made of the copies.
- Personal cameras may be used onsite in the reading room in accordance with our Camera Use Policy.
- Researchers must adhere to all citing and publication procedures.
Photocopies and Scans
- Please complete the Duplication Request Form (download to activate fillable fields).
- Please be sure archives staff is aware of what needs to be copied.
- Requests will not be completed on a while-you-wait basis. Normal turnaround time is 24 hours for photocopy orders, 3 working days for scanning requests, and 10 working days for of audio/visual duplication orders.
|Photocopy (letter and legal size)||$0.25|
|Photocopy (11 x 17)||$0.30|
|Original image scan||$5.00|
|Copy of existing scan||$2.00|
|PDF of transcript (< 5 are free)||$3.00|
|Audio duplication (Cassette to CD-R)||$12.00|
|Video duplication (VHS to DVD-R)||$12.00|
|CD-R or DVD-R replication||$5.00|
|Digital print (laser print, b&w)||$0.25|
|Fax (per 10 pages)||$5.00|
|SHIPPING AND HANDLING||RATE|
|Total order cost is $10.00 or less||$2.00|
|Total order cost is between $10.00 & $20.00||$3.00|
|Total order cost is $20.00 or more||$4.00|
|Certified mail (Large orders)||$7.00|
All services must be pre-paid.
There will be an additional charge of $30.00 per item for commercial projects and a charge of $10.00 per item for University Press projects.
An additional fee will be applied for work done by an outside facility.
Onsite orders less than $1.00 are free. No bills over $20.00 will be accepted.
Online Payment by Credit Card
Make checks payable to “GSU Library” and mail to the archivist assisting your order at:
Special Collections and Archives
Georgia State University Library
100 Decatur Street, SE
Atlanta, Georgia 30303-3202
Cash payments may be made by on-site researchers. Georgia State University employees may request that Accounting Services expense their Department’s speedtype and transfer these funds to speedtype LIBS4 (Revenue Account No. 449100). Please send a copy of your transfer request to the archivist assisting your order.