Welcome from the Dean
The University Library is a platform for discovery, creativity and innovation. In the book Where Good Ideas Come From, author Stephen Johnson tells us that big discoveries typically come from assembling existing ideas in new ways. A “platform” where people from different walks of life come together can facilitate “collisions” of ideas that lead to new insight, and “spark” innovation. We aim to provide this kind of a place – online and in our six libraries.
The University Library supports the strategic plan of Georgia State. We are a vital partner in student success and play a key role facilitating research excellence. By providing the expertise of our library faculty and staff, we help students become discerning lifelong readers and information consumers. By providing useful spaces and tools, we foster connections between people and breakthroughs in understanding. By acquiring, curating and preserving scholarship, we amplify the discoveries happening on campus and preserve the story of an ever-changing city. By boldly developing spaces and programs that support this vision we seek to become a leading model of the progressive research library.
As you take advantage of the resources and services of the Library, please contact me with your suggestions. I also invite you to support our work as we create this platform for discovery, transdisciplinary conversation and knowledge-building. We would be delighted to discuss how you can contribute to our students, our faculty and our community through a gift to the Library.
Dean of Libraries
Mission, Vision & Values
Provide resources and services that enhance student learning and success, inspire creative expression, enable the creation of new knowledge and facilitate informed dialogue.
The Georgia State University Library will be looked to as a national model of the innovative research library: the intellectual commons of the university, a valued partner in student success and an integral component of the university research community.
- Collaboration. We seek partnerships and promote open communication.
- Diversity. We value all employees and users regardless of race, color, sex, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or national origin, and strive to create a climate of openness, respect and appreciation.
- Innovation. We are innovative, flexible and creative.
- Integrity. We act with consistency, honesty, fairness and professionalism.
- Learning. We promote the lifelong pursuit of knowledge.
- Service. We serve our community in a knowledgeable, receptive and courteous manner.
Approved by Library Administrative Council 9/13/2016