The GIL Express service allows Georgia State faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students to borrow books from other University System of Georgia libraries. Visit the GIL Express website for detailed information about policies.
Use the University System of Georgia Catalog to search for books and submit requests. Request Pickup only appears for titles that are eligible for GIL Express.
GIL Express Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I request a book? When you find a book you would like to request, select Available in institution and Request Pickup. Make your selections from the request menu and select Send Request to submit.
- Why is the Request Pickup option missing? The item is not eligible for GIL Express from that institution. Try another library if available or submit a request using Interlibrary Loan.
- Where can I pick up books? GIL Express books can be delivered to any participating library. Choose your preferred pickup location when placing your request.
- How long will it take for the book to arrive at the pickup location? Most requests are ready between 2-4 days. You will receive an email from the library who owns the book when it is available for pickup. Holds are held for 10 days.
- What do I do if my request is cancelled? You will receive an email if the library has to cancel your request because the book is missing or damaged. You can try your request again and select a different library. If no other library owns the item, submit a request using Interlibrary Loan.
- How long can I keep my GIL Express loans? GIL Express items automatically renew twice unless the material has been recalled so they are not due until 84 days from the loan date.
- What if I need the loan longer? The loan cannot exceed 84 days so you will need to place a new request.