GIL Express allows students, faculty, and staff to borrow books from any University System of Georgia library. GIL Express books can be delivered and returned to any participating library.
Use the University System of Georgia Catalog to search for books and make requests. Visit the GIL Express website for more detailed information.
GIL Express Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I pick up books?
You can also pick up GIL Express books at another University System of Georgia library. Select the most convenient location to you from the drop-down menu when placing your request.
How do I make a request?
- Use the University System of Georgia Catalog to search for books.
- When you find a book you would like to request, sign in to your library account with your campus ID and password.
- Under MORE USG LIBRARIES/GIL EXPRESS REQUEST, select an institution.
- When the lending library’s information appears, click Request.
- Select a pickup location. You may also decide to change the pickup institution.
- Click Send Request.
- If an item is not available for GIL Express, consider submitting your request through Interlibrary Loan.
How will I know if my request is filled? What do I do if it isn’t?
If the lending library is unable to send the item you will receive an email. Try your request again and select a different library. If no other library owns the item, submit your request through Interlibrary Loan. Note in the comments section that your GIL Express request was not filled.
Are GIL Express policies (fines, loan periods, etc.) the same as those at the Georgia State Library?
- GIL Express items automatically renew twice unless the material has been recalled.
- If a GIL Express item is overdue it must be returned and sent back to the owning library. It cannot be checked in and then checked back out again at a library service desk.
- GIL Express fines and loan periods are the same for faculty, staff and students. Recall fines of $2.50 per day will be charged on overdue GIL Express materials if they are recalled at the owning library.
Visit the GIL Express website for more detailed information about GIL Express policies.
What Georgia State materials circulate through GIL Express?
Items not eligible for GIL Express include Browsing, Periodicals, Reference, Media, Microfilm, Microfiche, Special Collections and Reserves items.