GIL Express allows students, faculty, and staff to borrow books from any University System of Georgia library. GIL Express books can be delivered and returned to any participating library.
GIL Express Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I pick up books?
You can also pick up GIL Express books at another University System of Georgia library. Select the most convenient location to you from the drop-down menu when placing your request.
How do I make a request?
- Use the University System of Georgia Catalog to search for books.
- When you find a book you would like to request, sign in to your library account with your campus ID and password.
- Under MORE USG LIBRARIES/GIL EXPRESS REQUEST, click the Show Libraries button. Choose an available copy from the list of libraries. If an item is not available for GIL Express, it will be indicated. Consider submitting your request through Interlibrary Loan.
- When the lending library’s information appears, click Request and select a pickup location from the drop down menu. You may also choose to change the deliver to institution.
- Click Request.
How will I know if my request is filled? What do I do if it isn’t?
If the lending library is unable to send the item you will receive an email. Try your request again and select a different library. If no other libraries own the item, submit your request through ILLiad. Note in the comments section that your GIL Express request was not filled.
Are GIL Express policies (fines, loan periods, etc.) the same as those at the Georgia State Library?
- GIL Express items automatically renew twice unless the material has been recalled.
- If a GIL Express item is overdue it must be returned and sent back to the owning library. It cannot be checked in and then checked back out again at a library service desk.
- GIL Express fines and loan periods are the same for faculty, staff and students. Recall fines of $2.50 per day will be charged on overdue GIL Express materials if they are recalled at the owning library.
Visit the GIL Express website for more detailed information about GIL Express policies.
Can I have an item from the Georgia State University Library delivered for pickup elsewhere?
In this case, GIL Express circulation policies will not apply. Library policies, such as fines and loan periods, apply when a patron checks out a Library item, even if the item is picked up elsewhere.
What materials circulate through GIL Express?
Items not eligible for GIL Express include Browsing, Periodicals, Reference, Media, Microfilm, Microfiche, Special Collections and Reserves items.