Interlibrary Loan helps students, faculty and staff gain access to books, articles and other materials that are not part of our collections.
Interlibrary Loan Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible for Interlibrary Loan?
Library accounts must be in good standing. Contact User Services at 404-413-2820 for assistance if your record is blocked. Other library users should contact their primary academic, public or corporate library for Interlibrary Loan services. Law College students, staff and faculty should work with the Law Library.
How do I make a request?
- Check the item’s availability in the Library Catalog and/or using the Find e-Journals links to make sure we don’t have it. For books, also check for availability in the University System of Georgia Catalog to see if the book is available through GIL Express (this is typically faster). If you need help, contact a librarian.
- Submit your request using ILLiad, our Interlibrary Loan system. You can also find links to ILLiad in through most of our databases when you use the “Find it @ GSU” button.
- Sign into ILLIAD with your CampusID and password. First-time users will be prompted for contact information.
- Once signed in, select the type of item (book, article, book chapter, etc.) you want to request under “New Request.”
Submit a separate request for each item. Use ILLiad to modify, track and cancel requests, request renewals and view your request history.
How long will my request take?
Submit requests well in advance of deadlines, and check your ILLiad account for the status of your request.
How will I know when my item arrives?
Where do I pick up my materials?
Does Interlibrary Loan cost me anything?
I’m a faculty member. Can my GRA request things for me?
Can I use Interlibrary Loan for textbooks and course readings?
How long can I borrow something?
Failure to adhere to ILL rules may result in loss of borrowing privileges for the borrower as well as the Library.
How do I renew an ILL item?
- Sign into ILLiad and select “Checked Out Items” from the “View” section on the left. A list of materials checked out to you will appear.
- For each item you wish to renew, click the transaction number. This will bring up detailed information about the item.
- Click “Renew Request.”
A successful renewal request automatically adds seven days to your due date to give us time to receive a response from the lending library. If the renewal is granted, we adjust your due date to reflect the amount of time the library allowed and send you an email message. If the library denies the renewal, we send you a message asking you to return the item closer to its original due date if possible.
ILLiad will not allow a renewal request under any of the following conditions:
- The lending library specified in advance it will not grant a renewal on that item.
- The item’s due date is more than five days in the future or more than one day in the past.
- You have recently requested a renewal for the item and the lending library has not responded to the previous request.